Photo Club Photos

I'm doing a photo club on Jekyll Island, and today's assignment was to shoot photos of architecture at the historic district. If and when other club members send me their photos, I'll post them here,

Mahlon's Photos






 I wanted to show the architectural detail here, and I composed for the palms above and reflected in the window. But I missed getting the view centered so that both sides were balanced, ruining the symmetry.


This is an example of cropping for effect. I also did a bit of lens distortion correction to keep the roof line straight.




This is a vertical panorama, I took 3 photos from top to bottom, and Photoshop assembled them for me. Each image needs to overlap the next by about 1/4, so your final image resolution is about 2-1/2 times that of a single image, or about 24 Megapixels in this case.
 This is the original image




 The image below was adjusted using Photoshop's perspective transform to straighten the chimneys. Because the resulting image is skewed into a trapezoid, the resulting image needed to be cropped closer. The colors are more saturated, as well.

T



Rather than get the entire turret, I went for a small part of it using my zoom. Then I focused on the brickwork by increasing the contrast  and black levels, making shadows go black.
 I couldn't resist getting a shot with the croquet players in front of the hotel. Color was saturated a bit to compensate for the haze, and the horizon was straightened.
 I liked the repeating pattern on this Sans Souci porch, but the dynamic range was to wide for a single shot, so I too 3 shots which were 2 fstops apart, and combined them with an HDR program. This allowed the detail in the siding behing the left chair and the detail in the column on the left to both be present.


This lamp was outside Sans Souci. I tried it with he building as a backdrop,  but took advantage of the flat sky to make it stand out by itself. A little extra sharpening and clarity heightened the texture in the glass


This lamp pole has wonderful patina, and is providing housing for a couple bugs living in their cocoons under the edges. I used a wide aperture here and got very close to allow the background to blur, further enhancing the details in the pole.


I asked permission of the croquet players to take some photos, and placed my camera on the ground behind the blue ball for this shot. To try to keep everything in focus, I closed the aperture to f16, requiring a 1/2 second shutter speed. But since I had the camera on the ground, I didn't need a tripod. Having a wicket in the scene would have added more to the story in this picture.








Nancy's Photos






Sam's Photos





Allan's Photos






Charlotte's Photos



No comments:

Post a Comment